Pages

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

God Roots

Our Current Home & God's Promise...a beautiful banner of Love.
We are a nomadic family.

We move, on average, every two years. And... to the average person, that seems insane. Maybe it is. =/ But we're making it work. Our travels have taken us almost around the globe and we try to make the most of every station we're anchored to.

In the same way, I try to make the most of every house we land in. Often times, we have no control over the place the military puts us. Generic shoe-box homes that you can barely squeeze your queen-sized beds into are typical. Just look at our last place!

 As you can see... cracker box!  Literally. That thing was 1042 square feet and over 60 years old. And when we got there, the yard was as TAN as the paint on the siding. Ugg.

But, it is what you make of it. 

So I watered the heck out of the grass and planted tons of drought-resistant stuff (pictured here in its baby stages). The beds bloomed into life and we were a little prouder to pull in the driveway.


Thankfully, we have since moved on from the flowery cracker box and into a much larger and more modern place. I have to say, it's the nicest military housing we've ever lived in. When the housing lady told us about the place she apologized that it was not new... "It was built back in 2007." 
Whaaaa? Are you kidding me? New is anything built after the 1940's!! We'll take it!

And so here we are.
Before we moved out here to this rock, I was worried about what our housing situation was going to be like. How can you blame me...leaving out of what we did? Would we get a newer place? Would it be big enough? Would my washing machine have to sit right next to my stove again? (Yes, my kitchen doubled as a laundry room in the cracker box.)
But then I remembered something...

 God has a plan for us.
...and further more... He has ALWAYS provided for us. Always. Every place we've been, every home we've lived in..has always been enough. Usually, it was more than enough. When I realized this, all worry ceased. I became confident in the Lord and what he had in store for us. We were headed to this rock for a reason. I needed to embrace it all with a faithful heart.

There is this verse:
Hebrews 6:18 "God cannot tell lies! And so his promises and vows are two things that can never be changed. We have run to God for safety. Now his promises should greatly encourage us to take hold of the hope that is right in front of us." (CEV)

When I saw the rainbow brushed over the sky above my home yesterday I was reminded of this...  God is faithful to his children. His rainbow, a promise made thousands of years ago, also serves as a reminder of his Faithfulness and Grace. When I see it, I am reminded of His constant Love and Protection. I am grateful for every place that He's planted us. 

Some might say that our little family's roots are in Texas. And they might be right. We love us some Texas! And can't wait to move back there one day. But really, what we have are God Roots. He plants the seeds for growth in our lives... not always where we planned, or predicted... It is up to us to take hold and trust in Him.

So in the spirit of growth and home... Here's a little something that I've been working on... trying to nurture what I've got to work with... Where my current God Roots are. =)





 This is the back patio.. or I could be fancy and call it a lanai. =D  I built the little lattice fences because we're on the corner...right where everyone and their grandma's dog walk/drive by. I wanted to sit on the patio and have a smidge of privacy. Plus... they're long horn orange! YAYA!

The bougainvillea is my favorite plant that I'm currently growing. White is pretty unique in Hawaii... you usually see hot pink, orange, purple, red... it lines the highways. Right now, my pretty plant is about 6 feet tall. I've had passersby complement the plant... I guess I'm growing it right? haha

And there is my side yard Rainbow Shower tree...as seen through my hangy ferns from the lanai. (ogh.. I was fancy right there.)

Front Porch Planters!
Look at my baby Plumbago plant!!  I had a monster one growing at the cracker box house..it was on the other side of that wall with 2 stars. The dark brown planter is something I slapped together (I'm not exaggerating here) one day with left overs I found in the garage. I am quite happy with how it turned out.






This is today's Project 365 photo.

It's the Mexican glass wind chime that my mama brought back for me on one of her recent-ish Cozumel trips. 

Its delicate tinkling reminds me of the glass chimes my Granmommy has always had under the vent in her kitchen.

I love these chimes.

As you can see, my little butterflies hang on the back patio near the hangy ferns. They're neighbors with another set of chimes that my mama bought for me. It doesn't feel like "home" with out those chimes...

Their soothing melodies will seriously put you to sleep on a breezy day.






Home really is where you make it.

Joshua 24:15
"But as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD."

Related
Also read: Home in HI
post signature